Thursday, August 18, 2011

Decisions, Decisions...

Hey everyone!
Have you ever had a hard decision to make? I have a really important decision to make right now. Last week, my mom said that when school starts, I may quit taking ballet if I want to. At first I thought I might stick with ballet. I haven't improved too much, but I'm not terrible at dancing. I've even made a few friends. Then... a complication came along. Yesterday, I got my back to school info in the mail, and in the envelope was a list of extracurricular activities I can choose from this year. One club really caught my eye; Art Club. I love to draw and make craft projects. This club would be perfect for me! The only problem is, Art Club is the same day as ballet. It starts at 3:05, and ballet starts at 3:15. Ballet is halfway across town from my school, on top of that. What's a girl to do? I can't be in two places at once. So I have to choose between the two.

I called Paige and asked her advice. Paige said she think Art Club would be more fun. She is joining, and we can be in it together. Plus, her mom can drive us home afterward, since she is a teacher. If I pick ballet, I'll have to take an unfamiliar school bus to class, and that makes me a bit nervous. Being in this club with Paige sounds like so much fun, I have to admit.

Next, I asked my mom what she thinks. She thinks art Club would be something that I could really excel in, but she says she'll miss seeing me dance. She said it's ultimately my choice, though she is more comfortable with the transportation arrangements for Art Club.

Then, I asked my brother Charlie what he thinks. He said he thinks I'd like Art Club much more, but he knows deep down that I do enjoy ballet. He also said I should ask myself what to do instead of other people.

So I did. I closed myself in my room, and thought, and thought, and thought about it. I already take piano twice a week. And I have to practice a lot to stay proficient, since I'm not exactly a natural talent. Then, I am also taking Spanish this year. I know I will have to study for that pretty hard. Then I have my morning and evening chores. I also need "me time," to do all the things I do, like hang out with Paige, play with my dog, swing on my tire swing, watch TV, read, etc. I consider myself a well rounded individual, but sometimes I just like to chill and do nothing. Will I have time for everything with ballet in the mix? Maybe not. I know Art Club will be fun, and I'd still have time to do other things. I'd be sorry to see Paige going to meetings without me. I would have joined Art Club without even thinking twice, if I wasn't taking ballet. And although I like ballet class, I don't feel very dedicated to it at all. Ballet is all about dedication and discipline. If I don't feel like I can put all it takes into ballet, why take it? After taking all this into consideration, I made a decision. I decided that I'm going to quit ballet, and join Art Club this year. As you can see, it wasn't a very easy decision, but I know it is the right one for me.

Frankly,
Frankie

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Frankie. I think you made the right decision. It seems that you really would rather do the art club. One of my parents is an art teacher and I understand how much fun and important it can be. I can see where your mom is coming from, too. Ballet is a good discipline and skill to have. Ultimately I think you will be happier with art. It seems to be where your heart truly lies.

    *Angelica*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree with Angelica .. it seems you made the right choice for you .. Mara is sad that you gave up ballet but then she loves her dancing and is a dedicated ballarina .. me I would rather do the art club .. especially since you wuld have extra time with your best friend in the club too .. it is always more fun to share something like that ..

    So good job weighing all the options and your feelings and coming out with the answer that you will enjoy the most ..

    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankie, I'm so happy about your decision! I think you chose well, I mean; Art club sounds cool and fun and the best part is that you are going to share the fun with a friend!
    You'll have the chance to develop your skills and since you love art, I'm sure you're going to excell!

    Congrats!
    Ava

    PS- You're going to have to show us your artwork!

    ReplyDelete