Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Into the Time-warp

Hey everyone!
I'm sorry I haven't written in a while. Things have been hectic in my family. My mom has been on bed rest because of the baby, and I've had to help a lot around the house. And on top of that, I have more homework this year, too. We still haven't settled on a name for my baby sister, who is due in the Spring. We're leaning toward Isabelle, or Izzy for short, though. 

Yesterday was a snow day, so I helped my dad move some stuff from the attic, and I found a box of old books that were my mom's when she was a teenager. The box was dusty, and had "Patty's room" written on it (my mom's name is Patricia). I looked in the box, and it was mostly filled with Baby-sitter's Club books, by Ann M. Martin. I've heard of this series, but I've never read the books. I sat down in the attic and started paging through them. Dad said he'd bring them downstairs for me, and mom would probably give them to me, if I wanted them. So, dad brought them down to mom, and she and I looked at some of them. She laughed when she saw them, and said she read and collected the books for years. The girls on the covers wore clothes that look kind of crazy today, but mom said they were (mostly) the styles girls wore when she was young. I also found some parts in the books that sounded a little bit old-fashioned, like when they talk about things like videos and VCR's. Also, Claudia, one of the club members, had her own phone line. Today, Claudia would probably have a cellphone instead. And the Baby-sitter's Club might have had a Facebook instead of making flyers to tell people about their club. Mom said that compared to today, those days were much simpler times. She said I could have her books, so I took them to my room to read, since the weather was so bad. I found one book that is just perfect for me. It's called The Ghost at Dawn's House. I find it interesting that Dawn's last name is Schafer, because that is my last name. I wonder if mom would have ever guessed that someday she'd have the same last name as Dawn? It's funny how things like that work out.

Frankly,
Frankie

No comments:

Post a Comment